Tomorrow I will add two more pieces of art to my Etsy shop. They were inspired by Valentine's Day but they also have another meaning. Today, all across America, women were asked to wear "Red For Women's Heart Disease". Heart disease is the leading cause of death among women. I myself have begun to watch my high blood pressure and high cholesterol and have begun to take measures to lose weight and eat healthy.
By watching Dr. Oz on television every day, I have picked up some great tips. Here are a few of the doctor's tips; 1) decrease salt - no more than 1500 mg of sodium per day, 2) drink eight glasses of water a day, 3) eat a high fiber diet like oatmeal for breakfast and add 1 tablespoon of flax seed to increase the fiber, 4) take a brisk walk that gets your heart rate up for at least 30 minutes three times per week, and 5) take two baby aspirin before bedtime with a full glass of water. He said that if you have hypertension (blood pressure that is 140 over 80 and above) it can take 10 years off of your life if you don't get it under control. It also leads to enlargement of the heart, hardening of the arteries, and damage to your liver. That show was a wake-up call for me! Also, being overweight places more stress on your heart so I am really motivated to take off the extra 25 pounds I have gradually put on over the past few years!
I hope this information was helpful to you as well! Have a heart-healthy day!